Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Music Review: U2's No Line On The Horizon


Artistic greatness is sought by many. Yet greatness -more often then not- turns into a vice, trapping most who achieve it. Take a look at movie directors M. Night Shyamalan and John Singleton –both ensnared by early success. Take a look at every band outside of Coldplay that was hailed as the ‘next great thing’ -The Killers, The Bravery, Arcade Fire, Interpol, etc… Those few artists who escape the death-grip of greatness are the ones who continue to reinvent themselves, while staying true to their musical heritage. Madonna and the Rolling Stones try to remake themselves with every new album, but for the life of me I can’t name a single song that either has released in the last 20 years.

U2 stands nearly alone for they managed to produce sonically unique music, while still feasting on the themes of love, redemption, salvation, longing, and justice. These themes were present in 1976 when Larry posted a note on his school’s billboard looking for musicians to start a band. These themes have infused every song and every album that U2 has released. Larry, Adam, The Edge, and Bono write for the soul, giving us reasons to sing, to worship, and to love.

No Line on the Horizon is U2’s 12 studio album. Fellow U2 fanatic and friend Corbin D. mentioned to me that he thought this album sounded like a collection of B-sides. I would agree… there is a level of thematic continuity, but these themes are found in the lyrics, not the music. Each song appears to be unique it its own right, which probably reflects the ill-fated attempt to have famous producer Rick Rubin guide U2. Daniel Lanois, Steve Lillywhite and Brian Eno, all familiar chaps to U2 and to their fans, were brought in to rescue and revive this album. Furthermore, recording in Morocco, France, Ireland and England also added to the eclectic feel of No Line on the Horizon.

After repeatedly listening to NLOTH, Magnificence and Moment of Surrender are two songs that appeal the most. Magnificence could be played in any church, as its Christo-centric theology and call to worship, along with a driving bass and drumbeat move us to worship and to surrender. Magnificence features the line, ‘Only love could leave such a mark…’ What a truly powerful and symbolic line! I have reflected and thought about this line, and how it can be applied to the scars of Christ, the mark that we all bear as fellow image bearers of God, and even the mark that we have as children of Christ. Moment of Surrender is woven from the same fabric that gave us Bad, 40, and One.

5 comments:

Brad said...

I couldn't agree more. This didn't grab me as quickly as their previous effort: I listened 4 whole times before I started to really appreciate its sound. But the lyrics! You are so right about "Magnificent" and "Moment of Surrender" (also my favorites). Better Christocentric lyrics couldn't be found on most CCM schlock. I'm looking forward to "Songs of Ascent" later this year.

Jonathan Misirian said...

The sound is so disjointed at times, that it is hard to appreciate it fully. Maybe after more listenings this will change. I've got a feeling that the Songs of Ascent cd will be more to my liking.

Anonymous said...

I have been listening to nothing else but this album since last Tuesday's release. The first 'stand outs' were "Magnificant" and "Get on your Boots" (LOVED these!) and since then "No Line on the Horizon" and "Moment of Surrender" have wormed their way into my brain. Do I love the album? Sure. Do I love it as much as "The Unforgettable Fire" (another low key, moody album) and "ATYCLB"? No, but it is definitely growing on me. My initial thought was that it was too produced (as if I know what that means!) and preferred the live songs on David Letterman. I have September 12 already on the calendar and look forward to hearing all of the songs LIVE!

Anonymous said...

There is so much that strikes me lyrically. "It's not a hill, it's a mountain" -totally the theme for my turn toward Christ. "How can you stand next to the truth and not see it?"- I have been asking myself that for the past year. "listen for me I'll be shouting"- I am forever grateful to those who shouted for me, now it's my turn to shout!

David Rendall said...

I thought that Sexy Boots (Get on your Boots) would also make an excellent worship song. Can't believe you missed that one. I guess I'll keep looking for a church that is open to unique approaches to worship :-)