Thursday, February 20, 2014

Jesus Walks on the Water

The story of Jesus walking on the water is as widely mocked as it is well loved.

Grab a bible or read it online at www.Biblegateway.com.  The story is found in Mark 6.45-52.

This story is mocked for representing an antiquated view of reality -people can't walk on water.  Scholars sneer at modern, intelligent people for believing something that is so clearly in opposition to reality.

Others have found great comfort in this story, as it demonstrates the personal love that Jesus shows for his followers.  The image of Jesus calming the storm has brought peace to so many caught up in the grip of suffering.


There is more to this story than the simple account of Jesus demonstrating his power over nature. Imbedded within this story are some powerful truths.  Here are a few:

-Obedience to Jesus can mean disaster
-Miracles can draw us away from God
-We can be face to face with Jesus and still miss him
-Jesus may send us into danger so that he can reveal himself to us

When you read this story, what stands out to you?

2 comments:

g. said...

The thing that stands out to me is verse 52. "For they failed to consider or understand [the teaching and meaning of the miracle of] the loaves; [in fact] their hearts had grown callous [had become dull and had lost the power of understanding]. (Mark 6:52 AMP)"

Even though they were with Jesus they were focused on themselves (hungry- happy to have full bellies verse 44, good willed men- go to the other side & wait for Jesus verse 45, afraid for their safety- straining at rowing, wind was against them verse 48, fear of death- seeing a ghost verse 49).

For me, this story helps expose the condition of my heart. Am I failing to consider or understand the teachings & what life situations God has me in? Has my heart grown callous, lost the power to see things from His perspective?

Is life about me, my safety & happiness? Am I giving the Holy Spirit the lead in my life. The disciples at this time demonstrated how men respond without the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said His followers would experience the same negative circumstances He did. We are told to deny ourselves & pick up our cross & follow Him. That I have been crucified & the life I live is His. The good news to all of this is that we are found to be faithful! Being in His family for eternity is the best reward! Am I trusting Him?

My 2cents
g.

Anonymous said...

My youngest daughter, Zoe (3), spoke up in preschool this week. Her teacher was discussing transportation and mentioned that boats go on water, but people can't. Zoe raises her hand and says, "No! Jesus can walk on water!" -Amanda Carroll (K-Love)