Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Entering the Sabbatical

Honestly, I did not want to take my Sabbatical.  I am doing great, exercise most days of the week, feeling strong and healthy, getting along well with my wife and our son -and totally engaged in the life of this rapidly growing church.  No one asked me to take this, or told me that I should.  But as the Sabbatical comes to a start, I’ve realized more and more the need for this break.  A Sabbatical is not a vacation, it is defined as ‘...a pause from the routine of the call for the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual well-being of the ministry leader.’  

Southbrook created their Sabbatical policy a few years ago as a pro-active measure designed to ensure the long-term health of their pastors.  Now that I am on the eve of being off this summer, I have deep respect and admiration for our Elders who had this foresight to care for their staff.


So I enter this Sabbatical with some apprehension and fear; but mostly with a profound sense of gratitude for our amazing Southbrook Church family and church leaders...!

No comments: