Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday Morning Sabbatical -June 10th, 2013

Of Geodes, Friends and Finding True Love....

My first week of Sabbatical is in the books and I think that I have run the entire range of emotions (excitement, fear, exhaustion, thankfulness, and relief).  

Honestly, it has been difficult to disconnect from ministry life.  Partly because serving others is so ingrained into my life, mostly because I love the people who are a part of the Southbrook Community, but realistically it is because I have not wanted to disconnect.

Last week I met my good friend Pastor Pete for breakfast.  For the past few years Pete has been my weekly accountability partner.  I told him that I had planned on returning to Southbrook maybe once each Summer month, just to stop in and worship with everyone.  He challenged my motivations, which I thought were pure (of course, what else could they be!) and asked me if I was planning on returning early to Church because of missing the attention and adulation from our church family....!  What type of accountability partner is it, who asks you these probing questions...?

What are my motivations?  Can I separate my desire to care for the people of Southbrook from my desire to be with the people of Southbrook?  Should I?  This is something I am praying about...

The highlight of the week was a trip that Jacob and I took to rural SouthEastern Iowa, specifically to the small town of Keokuk.  Here my good friend Jason Peterson is the senior pastor of Keokuk Evangelical Free Church.  It was great to worship with him, talk ministry and pastoring, and to participate at his church.  Keokuk is known for its Geodes, small rocks that look ordinary from the outside, but when split in two, reveal worlds of crystalized beauty.  We went Geode hunting with Jason and were able to find some beauties!

Insert great sermon illustration about Geodes -here!

This first week was about enjoying the value of friendship as well as understanding my first love.  In this time of self-reflection I have wondered if I love the people and ministry of Southbrook more than I do the God who has put this all together?!  My prayer is for God to remain my first love and it is my hope that this Sabbatical will help me to that end...

1 comment:

Christine said...

I can appreciate the quandary! I do have to say that "adulation" may be a bit strong (ha,) but I can see that some people may look at you as "Pastor Jonathan" instead of our brother Jonathan. I think the time to actually make an appearance at Southbrook would be when you feel that is where the Spirit is telling you to be. The challenge for you will be to be able to just hang out and worship and visit with folks, without being drawn into the pastoral role. In the mean time just pick some people you want to hang out with and get together outside of church for some good old fashioned fellowship. Good thing it's cookout season! Thanks for the blog. Keep it up so we know what kind of shenanigans you are up to!