Thursday, June 20, 2013

How To Spend $25,750 on Your Home Deck Re-Staining Project

So with little planning and far less skill, Lynn and I decide to re-stain our deck.  Now let me tell you  -if you want to test your relationship then just jump right in to a major project like this.  Compounding our effort is the reality that we both have little-to-no abilities with any type of home projects.

Lynn is optimistic: 'It will only take ONE gallon of stain, probably get done in a half day with just ONE initial trip to Lowe’s.  Let's do it ourselves!'  I am more wired to just hire it out to a professional.  'They know what they are doing, have the tools and the time!'  I did not want to do this project.

Couples know the value of compromise, which is how we ended up doing the project ourselves....

Itemized List of our Deck Re-Staining Project:
FIVE gallons of deck stain             $175
SEVEN trips to Lowe's                  70 miles of total driving
Power Paint Sprayer                       $129
Miscellaneous Supplies                  $75
Chiropractor bills                            $500
Divorce Lawyer on Retainer          $25,000

Ha!  Actually we worked well together.  Our pattern in these types of situations is that we end reversing the stereotypical gender roles.  Lynn takes the lead and organizes the project; while I’m the tireless worker drone, ineptly following her around.  Now that I think of it, I never even used our newly purchased Paint Sprayer...

I am thankful to have extended time to work with Lynn and accomplishing some of our household projects...!  

Note: the image of the deck exists only in my mind...

-Now, where is that Ice-Pack and the Advil?

4 comments:

Ann W said...

I was wondering how I had missed noticing this deck at Lynn's birthday open house...

Mark Elstad said...

There are certain "basic beliefs", such as home projects always involve more time, effort, and money than first anticipated.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Love reading this...

Sue Theep said...

Hey Jonathan I know a really good massage therapist!