Monday, October 14, 2013

Interview with a Catcher

Recently CoffeeShopPastor had the opportunity to interview the Los Angeles Dodgers starting Catcher, AJ Ellis about his Christian faith.

AJ has been vocal about his relationship with Jesus, speaking at various events about his faith.  Last year he joined Milwaukee Brewer Corey Hart at an event where they both talked about the pressures and joys of being in the Major Leagues and the challenges of being a Christian athlete.

Two weeks ago, right before the 2013 MLB Post-Season began, I asked AJ a few questions about his faith...

CoffeeShopPastor: 'What is it like being a Baseball player who is a Christian?'
AJ Ellis: 'As my teammate, friend, and accountability partner (not to mention best pitcher in baseball) Clayton Kershaw told me once, "Our goal is not to be a "baseball playing Christian" but to be a known as a "Christian who happens to play baseball."

Sometimes I feel Christian ball players have it easier than those who aren't in that we have the peace to know that God has already determined the outcome and course or our seasons and careers. God is much more concerned in:

1. Our work ethic as we prepare to compete using the talents He has graciously given (Proverbs 21:31). 
2. Our response in the outcomes of our performance. Do we praise Him when we succeed? Do we still thank Him and accept our failures as part of his pan?'


CoffeeShopPastor: 'How do you stay focused on Christ during the long season?'
AJ Ellis: 'We are so fortunate as a ball club to have a strong Christian presence in our clubhouse. We have an average of 20 men, including our coaching staff who regular attend our Sunday Baseball Chapel service. The accountability and common passions of my teammates allows me to freely and openly praise God and honor Him with a community of believers. It also has created an environment where I can be approached when I am not acting or being a witness of God's grace in my life.

In addition to our Sunday Chapel we have weekly Bible Studies at our home stadium and in hotel rooms across the country that allow us to dig deeper into God's Word and also share more in depth about the struggles and temptations of the professional athletes life.'


CoffeeShopPastor: 'How does your faith in Christ affect how you approach the game?'
AJ Ellis: 'I know the camera is on me all the time as a catcher and I know the example I want to set. I want to compete with all my heart and do so not to receive praise from others but to honor God like it says in Colossians 3:23.   Through my determination and my passion I can be someone who people say "what's different about that guy" and hopefully they find the answer is my relationship with Christ.'


CoffeeShopPastor: 'What advice do you have for young ball players who want to pursue a career in Professional sports?'
AJ Ellis: 'Work ethic, healthy competition, desire, passion, determination, team-work, fairness, serving others, leadership, etc, are all wonderful and important things Sports has taught me. Those attributes are things that help me as I approach every day life. That's been my ticket to a better life. It's not the financial rewards or the minimal fame that has made my life better. Those will both quickly evaporate and fade away but the way I conduct myself, my attitude, and my relationship with others will last this lifetime thanks to the opportunities I've been blessed with through baseball.'

No comments: