Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Would You Buy Groceries for the Man Who Stole Your Wallet?

You are in the grocery store and feel a bump. Instantly you notice that your wallet is missing from your purse and a suspicious man is quickly walking away.  What do you do?

Jessica Eaves, mother of four from Guthrie Oklahoma knew what to do. Track the guy down and offer to buy his groceries.


She followed him through the store as he was trying to exit. While tracking him down she remembers thinking to herself, '...this scripture from Luke kind of jumped out at me that said if someone hits you on the cheek, turn the other cheek.  If someone steals your cloak, give them your shirt.  So I thought, 'Well I'll just be nice.'"

She corners the man and tell him that if he returns the wallet right now she will forgive him and even buy his groceries.  But if he refused, then she would turn him in to the police.

Eaves explains what happened next...

“He just kind of stared at me for a second and he reached into his hoodie pocket and handed it to me,” she explained.
Eaves then proceeded to pay for the man’s groceries, which consisted of items such as milk, bread, bologna, soup, crackers and cheese. He became emotional and was moved to tears as she covered his $27 bill.
“The last thing he said to me was, ‘I’m embarrassed, I have kids, I’m broke and I’m sorry,’” she told local television station KOCO.
However, the story didn’t end there. Eaves states that she never carries cash on her, but just happened to do so that day. Even more amazing to Eaves was the fact that she had just the right amount of money in her wallet to cover the man’s groceries.
“When I got to the check-out counter that day, his total was just a little over $27 and I had $28 in cash in my wallet,” she told the Christian Post. “And so I knew in that moment it wasn’t me. It was Christ that played in that moment.”
Imagine what the world would like if we could put into practice Jesus' command to love our enemies and our neighbors!

No comments: