Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Truth found in the Wreckage


On Wednesday June 24, 2009, the Republican Governor of South Carolina, Mark Sanford, addressed a packed press conference as to his mysterious disappearance of last 5 days. His aids and family originally stated that they didn't know where he was, then his office reported that he was hiking along the Appalachian Trail. Today, Governor Sanford admitted to being in South America and to having an affair. Tragic on so many accounts, especially as the Governor is married with four young sons. What hit me the most was the Governor's account of how his affair began.

“The bottom line is this,” he said. “I have been unfaithful to my wife. I developed a relationship with what started as a dear, dear friend from Argentina,” Gov. Sanford said. “It began very innocently, as I suspect these things do, in just a casual e-mail back and forth. But here, recently, over this last year, developed into something much more than that. And as a consequence, I hurt her. I hurt you all, I hurt my wife. I hurt my boys."

His comments reminded me of the Book of James 1:14-15. "...but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death." Sadly, Governor Sanford illustrates all to well the truth that is found in God's Word. Sin perniciously creeps upon us, and slowly, we are lead away from how God intended, towards the inevitable end: death.

No comments: