Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Let's Get Desperate


Who wants to be desperate? Desperation usually marks one as being weak and needy. The guy in college desperate for a date, the young woman desperate to be loved, etc… We have Desperate Housewives on TV, which help to perpetuate the myth of the relationally-dependent female. These women are pursued by desperate men who drive their pimped out trucks, desperate to display their manliness.

I believe as followers of Christ, that we are to be desperate… If I knew that my entire life depended on prayer, I’d bet that my prayer time would involve a greater level of urgency and importance… If I knew that my entire life depended upon studying God’s Word, I’m sure I’d study with an insatiable appetite.

For followers of Christ, being desperate seems to come more at times of crisis, instead of the ebb and flow of ‘normal’ Christian living. My personal challenge is to live a desperate life: desperate to know and love Jesus.

No comments: