Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Finding Myself Unnecessary Is A Wonderful Thing...


We all like to be loved and needed, right?  This is a key part of being a human. We like to be recognized and appreciated for the work that we do, for our friendships and care towards others.  But what if you found that you are unnecessary?  How would that make you feel?

As this summer sabbatical nears its end, I have come to realize two important truths; The first is that I am unnecessary to the life of Southbrook Church and the second is that this is liberating and healthy.

Pastors are real people.  We like to care and lead others.  We enjoy both the routine aspects of our calling as well as serving in great and public ways.  I can attest though that it is easy to lose sight of our dependence on God.  It is easy to get so caught up in using our gifts and skills that we ever-so-slowly substitute our abilities for God’s power.  We can become addicted to hearing, ‘great sermon,’ or ‘I am so thankful that you are our Pastor,’ or ‘we came to this church because of you.’  And like other addictions, we start to adapt so that we can receive more of this...

Over time an attitude develops which says, ‘God needs me to lead this Church.’  Or ‘God needs my skills for this task to be finished.’  Of course we would never verbalize this to others or to God.  But our lack of prayer life, our lack of dependence on God -speaks louder than our voices.

I believe that once we start to think of ourselves as necessary for the work of the Lord, that is when we lose our effectiveness.  Does God need me to be a pastor at Southbrook Church?  No!  The reality is that seminaries graduate thousands each year, many of whom would be an improvement.  Does God need me to teach and preach and care for others?  No.  God continues to give others these gifts, many of whom are waiting for an opportunity to use them.

Here is the truth boiled down as concise as possible: God does not need us, but He chooses to use us to accomplish His plans.  If He needed us, then we become more important than God.  If He needs us, then our whims and desires control Him.  If God is dependent upon me, then I have usurped Him.

He didn’t need Moses to lead His people out of Egypt (Why would anyone chose an 80 year old murderer turned sheep-herder anyway?).  He didn’t need Rahab to safely harbor the Jewish spies (What type of God chooses to bless a prostitute?).  He didn’t need a slave like Joseph to free His people from Egypt (There had to be better choices than him!).  And God certainly does not need you or I to Build His Kingdom!

What a Great God we serve, for He chooses to use us to accomplish His plans....!  This is why finding myself unnecessary is one of the greatest joys of being a Pastor.

2 comments:

Jenny Maas said...

Thanks, Jonathan. This is exactly what I needed to hear to affirm what God has been teaching me, and to have it come from you gave it credence. I read this weekend from a book on Hudson Taylor and journaled his words about the work not being ours, but Gods. We just have the privilege of working with Him! That takes the pressure off and the pride out, of any work I do. Blessings!

Sue P said...

It reminds me of 2 Corinthians 4:7 "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." How blessed are we - that the Lord uses us to house His spirit and do His work! We must be so precious and valuable to Him!