Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Afternoon Sabbatical -August 5, 2013

Marrying my friend Mike, Finding God through the Sikh Temple Shooting, and the Joy of having Coffee with a Good Friend...

Love the Despicable Me desserts that Ginny V, Wanda C, and Kelly B. made for Sunday Night's Youth Group Party. When I dropped off my son and a bunch of his friends, I found these guys in the kitchen, waiting for me to take them home!

August begins the final month of my summer 2013 Southbrook Church Sabbatical.  As much as I am enjoying my time of rejuvenation and refreshment, I realize that this gift is made possible through the extra efforts of Southbrook's Staff and Elders.  It is such an honor to serve alongside these great women and men and I look forward to carrying the load for them, when it is their time to be refreshed.

After 3 straight weeks of being on the road, we finally were home for a few days; which means: more house projects!  This time Lynn and I did a full-blown reorganization and cleaning of our basement. Now we are organized and have much less...!  Do you also find that getting rid of stuff brings a sense of accomplishment and joy, as you are also able to help others?

Coffee and Friendship
Have you ever had a coffee meeting with a friend and afterwards you realized how blessed you are to have that friend?  Well, what a joy it was to spend some time with Dave.  He has been such a strong encourager and role model for me.  Here is a man who lives his love for his wife and kids in such a way that others want to follow his example.  He is open with his failures, always ready to encourage, and truly cares about you and your family...  I am so thankful that God continues to provide strong Christian men to assist me.

During this past week we had a great God-moment while eating at local burger joint.  My wife Lynn is a school counselor, and she did her internship at a nearby school district.  Well it just so happened that our waitress recognized Lynn, and had a strong memory of how Lynn encouraged her to persevere through some tough personal circumstances... Here we are eating together and she starts to tell Lynn of the influence that Lynn had on her life...!  So glad that God brought them both back together, very cool, very proud of my gifted wife.


Marrying my Friend Mike
I've known Mike for the past 12 years, and last fall he asked if I'd perform his wedding ceremony to the beautiful Leigh... So this past weekend Lynn and I were up in Sheboygan at the gorgeous Whistling Straits Golf Course, the site of their wedding.  Perfect weather for this outdoor event.  This was the first wedding that I have done for someone who used to be in my Youth Group, while I was their leader.  A true honor to celebrate their love....!



A great and rare opportunity to put on our best...!

On Sunday Lynn and I went to New Hope Community Church, which is located just one block N. of Southbrook on St. Martin's Rd, in Franklin.  We are sister churches, with almost identical statements of faith and similar demographics.  I am so thankful to be friends with their pastor, Dave Bluhm. He is a passionate and awesome pastor. We truly felt welcomed and loved by Dave and the entire congregation.  I was excited to hear Dave preach on New Hope's core values...!  It is great to be able to model the unity that is found by being servants of the Kingdom of God!

Afterwards we slipped into Southbrook to catch our second service... what a great feeling to be at Southbrook after being absent for two months. Richard Brown, the director of The Captive Project (which is a Central City Discipleship Ministry that uses Rap and Hip Hop to spread the new of Christ), spoke on Faith, and man, can he preach!  Thankful that the quality of sermons actually has increased this summer....

Finding God in the Sikh Temple Tragedy
Today, August 5th, marks the One Year anniversary of the Sikh Temple shooting.  Gunshots rocked the neighboring City of Oak Creek, during the Temple's morning service.  The gunman fatally shot six worshippers and wounded four more, before turning the gun on himself.  Officers from Oak Creek arrived on the scene first, followed quickly by four Franklin Police Officers.  One of the first Officers was Patrolman John Finco, who later was honored by President Obama at a White House Awards Ceremony.  When asked how he handled the shooting, Officer Finco said, 'The way I handled it is, number one, my faith in God... that's primary.'  I called Officer Finco today and thanked my friend for his service to the city and to the nation.  Again he reminded me that God is in control and that it his faith in Christ which gives him the strength to be an officer of distinction.

Christians can affirm that in the middle of the worst of tragedies, God comes through in unique and powerful ways...

Thoroughly enjoying this Summer 2013 Sabbatical, though truly missing the Southbrook Church Community.  Looking forward to three services this fall!

No comments: