Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday Morning Sabbatical - August 12th, 2013

A 48 hour fast, terrifying prayer, and being alone in the woods.  More adventures in my Summer 2013 Sabbatical.

So last week I did something that I have never done before -No, not finally preach a good sermon or get a decent haircut-  For five days last week I took a solitude retreat, isolated in a cabin, just God and a pile of books...

Have you ever taken a solitude retreat?  I want to hear what you did and how you felt about it...  I found that a solitude retreat it can be both imminently rewarding and hauntingly terrifying all at the same time.

My friend Pastor Pete recommended that I start my time away with a 48 hour fast.  This is designed to get my heart focused on God and allow Him to speak into my life. So from Monday morning to Wednesday morning I only drank fluids; using my time to read through the first four books of the New Testament and to pray.  On Wednesday I drove to the nearby local cafe and broke my fast with this tasty breakfast.

(I love the local color of hometown cafes...  BowHunter Magazine and Field and Stream jammed in the periodical rack, every man in the place was both over 60 and wore a farm implement hat, and every neck swiveled as I placed my order.  Guessing no one had ever ordered cottage cheese with their breakfast).

The retreat was more ascetic than what I had planned.  Left my toiletry bag at home so I could not shave, and I was not able to figure out how to make the shower hot (yes I am slow like that).  I tried to use as little electricity as possible, so only natural lights and candles to assist in reading, with meals consisting of fresh fruits and simple foods.

Saw plenty of animals, deer, the rare black squirrel, wild turkey (the bird not the beverage), and all sorts of rabbits.  For exercise I ran three miles every morning and walked an hour every evening. The balance of my time was spent studying and preparing for a fall sermon series on the life of David, Israel's greatest King.  (I am so pumped about this character study and preaching the Life of David. Southbrook Church will kick off our fall ministry year on Sunday September 8th, which is also our first Sunday of three morning services 8, 9:30 and 11am!)

Here is what I learned while in the woods:
-Intentional Rest is Tough.  I am so used to a life of instant access: news/sports/entertainment/stock quotes, etc... even instantly connecting with family and friends.  The benefits that come from intentional rest are amazing.  Rest allows you to become more in tune with God, your environment, and even your own soul.

-God Rested, We Should as Well.  Genesis tells us that God rested on the 7th day. He did not need a break or to catch his breath.  By resting God models for us a reminder that He holds everything together.  He rests because he can.  We are wise to follow His example.

-Technology promises salvation, but delivers captivity.  The next time you are at your doctors, read a copy of Popular Science- circa the 1950's.  Promises of 12 hour work weeks, flying cars, and robots who do all the housework and cleaning -fill its pages.  Technology promises a life of health, exercise in a bottle, and wrinkle free looks.  Taking a sabbatical from our technological dependence is a way of reclaiming our humanity, a way of resetting our souls.

-Prayer Can be Terrifying. Yes it is great to know that we can communicate directly to God, anytime, anywhere.  But to be alone with God, where He has access to your innermost of thoughts -well this can be terrifying.  The need to regularly confess is critical to a healthy prayer life.

I had hoped to end my solitude week by connecting with a local pastor.  So a few weeks earlier I found a local bible church, emailed the pastor and inquired if he wanted to meet up for coffee.  The final morning of the week Pastor Tim and myself sat and talked for 3 hours about life, ministry and being pastors to our communities.  What a great way to end a powerful week!

Thanks to our good friend Erica for encouraging me to go, along with my wife Lynn and our son Jacob for creating the environment which would allow me this rare time away.

As much as I am enjoying this Sabbatical rest, I can not wait to get back into the ebb and flow of Southbrook Church!





1 comment:

Thile said...

Enjoyed this post Jon!