Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Afternoon Sabbatical -July 15th, 2013

Relaxing Together, a Youth Group Missions Trip, and a Rated 'R' Play.


This past week Lynn and I spent five days at a friend’s condo North of the Dells.  This was the first time in 14 years that we were alone for this length of time.  Yes, I do feel guilty, as this place was absolutely amazing!  However time spent with Lynn is a blast.  We shopped (Lynn just so happened to hit my rare twice-a-year-window when the stars align for me to shop) went out to eat, caught a movie, and just relaxed together.

Of course while we were having fun, our son was working hard.  The Southbrook Church Youth Group went on a missions trip to a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio.  Our team joined churches from many other states and worked together to build wheelchair ramps, paint and do general household projects.  Jacob’s group served an elderly woman, who loved on the students and called them ‘her kids.’  

There is tremendous value in students going on a Youth Group Missions Trip and I highly encourage all parents to set this as a goal for their children.  Going to a new location, leaving parents behind, joining with other peers; all add up to an excellent spiritual growth opportunity.

On Sunday the 14th, we started a 2 day trip to Maryland with a stop-over in Ohio.  Lynn and I met as Undergrads at Cedarville University, in Central Ohio.  This is where we had our first date.  It ended up at a hip place called the Winds Cafe in YellowSprings, but it started out at a Rated ‘R’ Community Play.  Now in my defense, the write up in the local paper said ‘Romantic Comedy.’  So being known as the ‘Love Doctor’ I thought that this may be a cool opportunity for a first date.  As the play began Lynn leaned over and asked me, ‘Is this a modern or a classic work?’  The premise of the play was that a newly-wed couple and a long-time married couple were snowed-in for the weekend in a cabin.  EVERYTHING was a double entendre, and to make matters worse, some of the jokes were hysterical!  But out of propriety and not wanting Lynn to think that I was crude and crass -I did my best not to laugh and instead acted horrified at the ‘humor.’  So as soon as half-time came, we hightailed it out of the play and made it to the Winds Cafe for coffee and dessert.  And the rest is history!


Spent some time reading some great books about How to Do Church....I have some thoughts that I will post soon about what I have been reading.  Humbled for this time away, truly missing Southbrook Church!

No comments: