Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tuesday Morning Sabbatical -July 30th, 2013

Cheesesteaks, Rocky Balboa and the 'F' word...


Off to the right of the Philadelphia Museum of Art you can find the lumbering Rocky Statue.  In front of it you see the perpetually long line of tourists in queue to get their photo taken in the Rocky pose.

A few miles away in downtown Philly rests the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.  Last Friday we spent the day in this historic city learning about the founding of our country. Tourists packed these sites, waiting in the heat, snapping photographs, taking in the memories. Both locations speak to the same core American values: underdogs who fight and win against the powers of the day, the unlikely story of common people making something of their life.  Thomas Jefferson meet Rocky Balboa...

Oh, and in one movie Rocky's trainer tells him, 'You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!'  Love that line.

Not sure if we ate lighting last week, but we definitely had our share of amazing food!  When in the City of Brotherly Love you must eat a Philly Cheesesteak. We went to Campos, on Market Street and I had my Cheesesteak 'wit' cheese.  THE BEST.... So thankful for my aunt and uncle's personal tour around the city!

Our other big trip last week, was a visit to Washington D.C. Where else do three nerds first go when visiting the city? But of course, an hour-long walking-tour of the Library of Congress!  We also walked the National Mall and spent time at the National Museum of American History.

We returned home on Saturday, driving 14.5 hours, straight through.  Tired, spent, glad to be home.

On Sunday Lynn and I managed to go to Mercy Hill Church for their second service.  Mercy Hill is in Bay View and resides in the historic Hide House.  Wow, what a service!  We loved the worship, meeting friends, and had a great talk with Pastor Tommy afterwards.  If you are looking for a church, check out Mercy Hill....

As for the Sabbatical, well I am nearing the end of my second month.  I stay informed via email and listening to the sermons online.  This past week I encountered a new emotion: fear.  At times there is a strong element of fear that courses through me.  The fear is in realizing that all is going well and that maybe my return will mess things up.  -Yep, sounds odd when putting it into writing, but just wanted to be honest about what I am praying about.

I am so thankful for this opportunity of extended time with my family, time to travel, and time to be with Lynn.  And at the same time, thoroughly miss Southbrook Church....

1 comment:

Kerry said...

No worries! Sometimes I think I will not be missed when I leave for a trip....only to find upon my return that absence does really make the heart grow fonder. Sorry for the cliché, but it's true! We all miss you, but know you need this time to grow closer to our Father. And....., the members of Southbrook need this too! We cannot and should not come to church because of the pastor....we come to worship and glorify the Father. Keep growing in spirit!