Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Turning 40

40 years ago today my parents welcomed me into the world.  Yes, I was born in Dallas, Texas while my father was in Seminary.  No, I am not a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.

It is odd to be associated with this number, as I feel that I am around 22 years old.  Recently our church was having a business meeting and I was sitting up front with other church leaders.  In the middle of this meeting I started laughing to myself at -what I felt was the absurdity of a church that would have such a young kid as their pastor!

I am learning that the number 40 brings with it an element of disassociation, right?

I feel like I have the hair of Fabio, but in reality have the hair of Prince William.

Today while exercising I thought that I looked like The Rock, but in reality was closer to the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow Man.

At times I feel like my preaching is a lot like the Reverend Billy Graham, but in reality is probably closer to the Reverend Jim from Taxi.


The number 40 plays a unique role in the Bible.  It took Moses 40 years to lead God's people out of Egypt, Jesus was tempted for 40 days in the Wilderness and it rained for 40 days during the Flood. Apparently the number 40 is often associated with Testing and Trials.  Here's hoping this next year doesn't have any Trials or Testing!

On a personal note, ever since watching the hit TV show Knight Rider, I've been honored to share my birthdate with David Hasselhoff!

For years my favorite band U2 would end their concerts by singing the song '40' off their 1984 'War' album.

Here is hoping that U2's lyrics to their song '40' be the anthem for this day, and for 40 more years to come...

'40'

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He brought me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song
How long to sing this song
How long, how long, how long
How long to sing this song

He set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm
Many will see
Many will see and hear

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song 
How long to sing this song 
How long, how long, how long 
How long to sing this song

2 comments:

Jill B. said...

It's been many long years since I turned 40, but I remember considering that birthday as the end of my youth and the beginning of middle age. So, welcome to the middle ages Jonathan! Just think of yourself as one year closer to Heaven!

Sue P said...

Happy Birthday my friend!