Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday Evening Sabbatical -July 8th, 2013

Meeting God Over Pizza, A Screaming Bladder, and Driving 85mph Down Rawson Avenue.


This past week we accomplished some more house projects.  We started cleaning out our basement storage and main room.  Wow, where did all this stuff come from?  It is eye-opening to realize how easy it is to accumulate so much stuff.  Cleaning out the basement is cathartic, tense, and in the end -well worth it.  We were able to give some great items to friends and a few car loads made it to the local Goodwill.  Realized through this that our spiritual lives contain basements, which -more often than not- need the same attention as the ones in our homes.  Doing a spiritual inventory of what we are holding on to and what we need to get rid of -works wonders for the soul!

One day last week Jacob and I went to Tazino’s in Oak Creek.  This pizza buffet is perfect for our 13 year old man-child.  It was great to be greeted with a huge hug from Southbrook Church member Wanda C!  While we were eating our lunch, a group of five businessmen came in and sat down near us.  Before they ate, one of the men bowed his head and prayed before his meal.  A few minutes later as he was getting up for more pizza, I thanked him for praying before he ate.  We had a solid conversation about living out our faith.  What a cool God moment !

One thing I thoroughly enjoy about what I do in life- is using my Super Pastor-Powers to connect and meet with others who share this calling.  This week I met with three local pastors from three different churches.  Pastor Pete recently announced that he is retiring from his service to his church: Redeemer Evangelical Free Church.  He has faithfully served the Lord in four different churches with character and integrity.  On the other end of the spectrum is Pastor Dave from New Hope Community Church.  Dave has been a senior pastor for all of four months.  I am impressed with his passion and determination in leading his church to be externally focused.  Near the end of the week I had lunch with Pastor Ansen, who leads a Central City congregation -the Word is God Worship Center.  He is a man who is passionate about preaching the Word and spending time with his family.  I am so thankful that God has brought these guys into my life!

On Wednesday from 4am to about 1pm, I rode along with two different Franklin Police Department Officers.  Let me tell you, very little happens in Franklin at four in the morning!  At one point a call came through that there was a fire at a local gas station... Well, the officer put the pedal to the metal and we were flying down Rawson avenue.  I’ve never been in a car that drove over 85 miles an hour.  Good thing my police-issue pants are dark blue as my bladder was screaming louder than the car engine.  The ‘fire’ turned out to be a few gallons spilled gas on the ground, no flaming inferno, no trapped civilians who were in need of an alert Chaplain’s life-saving assistance; alas no great sermon illustrations...  However God did provide me with some solid opportunities for me to listen and connect with these officers, all of whom seemed willing to talk about spiritual issues...  A new Police Bible Study is possibly even in the works!  I am so thankful that the City of Franklin called four years ago to ask if I would be their Chaplain...

By the end of the week, we were packing up the clothes that our son needed for his Youth Group Missions Trip.  Jacob joined 30 students and 6 staff for a week long work camp to Cincinnati, Ohio. Not sure why we packed so many clothes, as we are certain that he will return in the same clothes that he was wearing when he left.  On the day we said good bye to our son, we welcomed two Southbrook families into our home for dinner.  What a joy to get to know these families, to hear their stories of Christ at work in their lives, and to eat a dynamite meal together!  It is amazing the bonds that can form around food!


I am thoroughly enjoying this Summer 2013 Sabbatical and at the same time, miss tremendously the great people of Southbrook Church....

4 comments:

Thile said...

Entertaining post Jon!

Sue P said...

Thanks for sharing and keeping us up to date during this special season. We really appreciate staying in touch along the way. God bless you and your family!

Kerry said...

The basement is the scariest place in the house you know!

Unknown said...

I would really like to hear more about your ride-along experience with the FPD. Also, I had a unique witnessing opportunity with a Franklin Police Officer at Sendik's that I would like to share with you as well! I am excited for our meeting! Also, I thoroughly enjoy the blog. I cannot believe I didn't start following it sooner! I am praying for you and for growth while you are on sabbatical.