Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday Evening Sabbatical -July 22nd 2013

Road Trips: Friends and Family Edition.  And why God wanted me to go to my in-laws Sunday Night Annual Church Business Meeting...

What a packed week of travels and activities!

On Sunday we left for Ohio to visit our long-time friends Heather and Maurice.  What a great time reconnecting with this solid family!  Jacob and I were also able to tour Cedarville University and meet with an Admissions Representative.  Cedarville is where Lynn and I met while studying History/Political Science and English Secondary Education.  If you are in the area of Xenia, then you must visit Young's Dairy, which makes the best homemade ice cream!  This was a college hangout when Lynn and I were students at Cedarville.

Tuesday we made the 10 hour trip straight East to Lynn's parents home, which is in the picturesque town of St. Michaels, Maryland.  St. Michaels is located on Maryland's Eastern Shore and is known as the 'Town that Fooled the British.'  During the War of 1812 British WarShips came to bomb this harbor city.  The residents thwarted the British by hanging lanterns high up in the trees causing their ships to overshoot the intended targets.  It is a huge tourist area, with lighthouses, quaint shops, and cafe's all around...

Lynn's sister Lisa married Bob, and together they have four great little boys -all of which makes for an active and crazy time at the in-laws.  Our time here is spent hanging out with family, going swimming at a friend's pool and enjoying being with Lynn's parents.  On Sunday we went to Talbot Bible Church together and then my father in law and I went to the evening annual business meeting.

During the week I felt pulled to go to the meeting - not sure why as no sane person chooses to go to another church's annual business meeting.  But hey, I'm a pastor and I love all things related to Church, so off we went. New members were welcomed into the fellowship, church business voted upon, and then they started to talk about Missions.  Apparently the church is thinking about adding some new missionaries and they listed off a few couples that they had recently met.  One of the names mentioned was Andy and Nannette Palm, who are missionaries to Central Asia.  It just so happened that about 5 years ago Andy and Nannette came to Southbrook Church for a few months while staying in Franklin during Nannette's high-risk pregnancy.  After the business meeting I was able to personally talk with the missions chair about Andy and Nannette and encouraged the church to start supporting them!  Then it all hit me, this is why God wanted me to go to the annual business meeting!

On a personal note, my continued thanks to the Elders and Staff of Southbrook Church.  The Church continues to grow, advance and strategically plan for our future.  I am so honored to serve alongside such strong women and men.  Thank you for granting me this Sabbatical time of rest and renewal.

I am thoroughly enjoying my time away, and yet missing everyone terribly so....

No comments: