Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Morning Sabbatical -July 1st, 2013

Week four of the Southbrook Summer Sabbatical was a blast.  

We returned to Fort Wilderness for our fourth annual Family Camp.  Fort Wilderness is truly a premier Christian Camp, located near Rhinelander, WI.  Fort Wilderness offers the full range of programming: Family Camps, camps for youth, a three week long camp for High Schoolers, Men's and Women’s retreats and even a nine-month long training program for those out of high school.

We love going to family camp, as the accommodations are first class.  Our cabin has room for us all, a place to play family games along with our own private bathroom!  This is how to do the outdoors!  Lynn and I did an hour long horse back ride through the woods, we all went to the shot-gun range and attempted to shoot clay targets.  Jacob loves the 22 range and the archery center...

The people who attend the camp are a rich mix of ages and family types.. Single parents, grandparents with their grand kids, parents with young children and even a newly married couple; all come together for an amazing week.

So if you are looking for a solid opportunity for spiritual growth amidst the Northwoods of Wisconsin, I highly encourage you to check out Fort Wilderness.  www.FortWilderness.com

Yesterday I attended two churches, about as stylistically different as possible.  In the morning Lynn and I, along with my mom, attended Word is God Worship Center on 33rd and Vliet Street, in Milwaukee.  This central city church is led by Pastor Ansen Beverly-Davis, a friend that I've known from High School.  The worship is free-flowing/spirit directed; rich with tambourines, shouts of praises and ‘amens,’ led by worship dancers in flowing white and gold-trimmed robes.  We were honored to be seated on the stage for the entire service, and I was asked to participate in the laying on of hands for those who came up to be anointed with oil and for prayer.  The sermon text was Nehemiah chapter 4, and was presented with a strong emotional appeal.  Near the end of the service, I was asked to speak, so I delivered greetings from our Southbrook Church Family to our brothers and sisters who attend Word is God....

Sunday evening I went by myself and worshipped at City Reformed Church, which meets at 5pm at the Brew City Church building located at 1036 North Van Buren Street, in Milwaukee (near Buca di Beppo’s).  City Reformed is a church plant from Brookfield Christian Reformed Church.  In contrast to Word is God, City Reformed is more ‘high church’ in terms of its structure: communal recitation of the Apostles Creed, singing all verses of the hymns, group confession of sins, etc...  The sermon text was Acts 2 and it was delivered with a strong cognitive appeal.

I so love visiting other churches, for it reminds me of the breadth, the beauty and the diversity of God’s Kingdom!

Semi-Random Thoughts:
-Let’s remember to pray for the families and friends of the 19 firefighters who were killed fighting the Arizona wild fires.  How about dropping by your local fire station with a note of appreciation, or a homemade dessert?  I know that this would be appreciated.

-As much as I miss my church family at Southbrook, I am profoundly grateful for this time of replenishment!

-Reading a lot from a range of Christian perspectives about the recent Supreme Court decisions regarding same-sex marriage.  I hope to post more on this soon.

-Watched the movie ’42’ with the family.  This is the inspirational story of Jackie Robinson, the first man to break the color barrier in Major League baseball.  Wow, what a great movie about a great man!

-Southbrook’s blood drive resulted in our ability to save 61 lives!  Thanks to Ron L. and the rest of the crew who organized this great event.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, I read your blog with great joy and a big smile.. I can see that God Is filling you and allowing you the freedom to just have fun! My hello to Lynn and Jacob and enjoy the rest of your time away. You have a congregation that is excited for your return and grateful that you lead us.

Your friend,

Dave Garcia